The goal of this project is to engage with the Scottish inshore fishing industry to better understand the incidence of marine animal entanglements in our waters, and to develop sustainable, proportional mitigation strategies for the benefit of those affected.
To achieve this, SEA aim to:
- Raise awareness of marine animal entanglements amongst fishermen and other marine users.
- Improve reporting rates of marine animal entanglements.
- Provide a platform for fishermen to suggest solutions to this problem.
- Provide opportunities for fishermen to become involved in entanglement research and disentanglement efforts through workshops and training courses.
- Assess the risk and impact of entanglements to marine animals at an individual and population level.
- Better understand the socio-economic impact of marine animal entanglements on the Scottish fishing fleet.